In my last blog post, I shared all of the reasons why I went back to using a traditional planner and the reasons why I love it. I received some great feedback from readers either stating that they also use a paper planner and/or are currently contemplating it. Over the weekend, I posted several pictures of my planners on Instagram and received an overwhelming amount of likes on each one so here we are.
Over the past several months, I’ve met some amazing people in the planning community mainly via Facebook and Instagram. I never even knew this community existed and now that I am a part of it, I can tell you that it is very big and it continues to grow. It’s a place where we can share our planners with each other every day. If you search for the hashtags #plannernerd, #planneraddict and many others, you can easily spend hours looking at the thousands of pictures that people post of their planners.
It’s a great way to see how others decorate and use their planners. It’s another reason why I love planning and have so much fun interacting with everyone who share the same interests as I do. If you’re like me, you’ve probably convinced a few friends that they too should give it a try. Get this, not only have my friends joined the planner community, they send me pictures when they’re out shopping for planning stuff. They also make sure to point the finger a.k.a “tag” me so they can blame me for getting them into this oh so fun paper addiction. My response: I plead the 5th haha
It all started in February of this year. While watching a You Tube video of one of my favorite make up gurus, she stated that she was guilty of using her phone for everything and now that she is a new mom, she has more things to keep track of so she decided to give an old school traditional planner a try. She briefly showed her Erin Condren planner and I was mesmerized immediately. Bingo! I thought this would be perfect to keep track of home stuff, my son’s activities, and more. Within ten minutes, I used the $10 off coupon that she was provided in her video description and ordered my first planner.
While waiting for my planner to arrive, I watched more planner related videos on You Tube. I noticed that the majority of the women were using the planner in a scrapbook type way by using stickers, washi tape, and more. Being a former scrapbooker myself, I always enjoyed using stickers to decorate my pages however I stopped before washi tape was even invented. Let’s just say that by the time I received the planner, I had a good supply of stuff ready because I went shopping to stock up on everything that I made of list of while watching these planning videos.
I also had a bin full of scrapbooking supplies in my basement that I never wanted to part with because I knew there would come a time that I would use them again! I am so happy that I did keep it all because this new hobby turned into a full on planner addiction.
Here’s where it gets crazy! I am going to break it down for you right now because if not, I can be here all day explaining this next series of events. I’ll start with….
- Planner # 1 Erin Condren – I only used it for about a month. I will say that decorating and making it look pretty actually encouraged me to use it more to keep track of everything. The thing is that I after I wrote everything in, there was just too much empty white space and I didn’t want to overload it with stickers. My other dislikes: The boxes are labeled Morning/Afternoon/Night and my day was not structured in this manner in regards to writing things down. Note: the newer planners are no longer labeled as such. Secondly, this planner is big and will get bulky which made it heavy to carry. This is where the 30% of OCD in me kicked in and I quickly lost interest in this planner. It was time to search for something smaller.
- Planner # 2 Webster’s Pages Color Crush Planner – Personal size. It resembled more of your typical daily planner and had a snap closure to keep it securely closed. I purchased it online from Scrapbook.com for only $34.99. It came with everything I needed: monthly calendar, weekly calendar, divided sections that I could use for whatever I wanted and it was the perfect size to fit in my tote bag that I used for work. Opinion: I quickly realized that the inserts were too small and I needed more room to write. My mom informed me that she wanted a planner so I gave her the Color Crush
- Planner # 3 This is when I discovered the infamous Kikki-K planners. They are so pretty and classy and also the most expensive of the brands that I had come across. By this time, I needed another planner quick because I had post it notes everywhere. I ordered the large a5 size Ocean blue planner with a band closure. I chose this beautiful blue color with gold studs because it was fairly new and not everyone had it just yet. I received it in less than a week from Australia which was very impressive. As soon as it arrived, I made dividers for it and all was good until…
- Planner # 4 Kikki-K released a black textured leather planner with a snap closure. Truth: I can’t even justify as to why I needed it or wanted it for that matter. I mean I just received the blue one, so I decided to wait and keep using the blue one until I realized that now I was back where I started: I had too much writing room which equaled more empty space. Ok now what? Do I stick it out or do I give in and buy the black one in the personal size which would mean I would be right back where I started when I had the color crush. By this time, the Ocean blue one was temporarily out of stock. I decided to sell it by advertising in a Facebook group and use that money to buy the black one. I posted several pictures of the planner in the group and within one hour it was sold. These planners sell like hotcakes within Facebook planning groups especially if they’re in great condition. If you take a moment to research what they sell for on Ebay, your jaw will drop when you see the prices for the ones that have been discontinued.
- Planner # 5 Yes, I purchased the black one and I believed that I had finally found what is referred to in the planner community as “planner peace”. Fast forward to…
- Planner # 6 At this point, you must think I am crazy and I am not afraid to admit that I am and that brings us to the present. The first week of October, I heard about the new beautiful Rose Gold Kate Spade planners that were going to be released and would be for sale at my local outlet mall. In my opinion, this planner is the Ferrari of planners! Unfortunately I found out too late and was not able to get one. A good friend of mine did go on the day that they were released. She heard there were women lined up waiting for the store to open so that they could buy these planners. Can you say holy planner craziness! She purchased one in black and one in the rose gold. When I saw it in person, it really was everything that she described it to be. Yes, I just said that! It even had a zipper closure that secured the planner all around which was great. I contacted my local outlet and asked them to keep my name on their waiting list. Alas, the day came and I was finally able to get the rose gold planner. You know what that meant right? Time to sell the black one and once again, it was sold within hours of posting pictures in the FB group.
Ok, I hope that you’re still with me. I know it’s a long one and thank you for hanging in there but I promise that there is a method to my madness and I can assure you that I am not alone in this craze. Rest assured, while it may have sounded crazy at first, I can finally say that I have found planner peace. I never knew what that meant until now and in my opinion it ultimately translates to owning a planner that is attractive to you. Trust me when I say that you will want to carry it with you all the time and the overall appearance of it is what also keeps me in the planning zone.
In conclusion, my biggest recommendation to those who are contemplating using a paper planner, is that you do the research first. Make sure to check out all of the brands/ options so that you can make the right choice for what you need to use it for. I would hate for you to make the same mistakes that I did simply because I purchased my first planner as an impulse buy and I wish that I had someone to help guide me in this planner buying process.
Now I want to hear from you! When did you start planning? What do you currently use your planner for? If you are considering purchasing your first planner, what are you looking for in a planner? Let me know in the comments below if you can relate to what I went through to find this so called “Planner Peace”. In this community, I know that I am not the only one who tested several planners before picking the right one.
Again, thank you for tuning in and until next time… Happy Planning!